McKenzie: Raiders focused on the draft, not Aldon Smith’s status

ALAMEDA — With the NFL Draft less than a week away, the Raiders won’t be giving much thought to Aldon Smith’s possible place on the team as general manager Reggie McKenzie looks to add pieces to last year’s 12-4 squad.


“As far as Aldon and the draft, our thought process is just on the draft,” McKenzie said Friday. “Not considering Aldon at this point. He’s still on the suspension list, so we’re not considering him at this point.”

Smith hasn’t played since November 2015 when the NFL banished him for violations of the league’s substance abuse policy, of which he was he was “Stage Three” offender. The league said in December that it planned to look back into Smith’s case in mid-March and the expectation was that he would be reinstated then so long as he could remain out of trouble. He even jumped on social media to proclaim that he was back.

And then came an incident March 9 in which Smith was detained at a police station in San Francisco for public intoxication, a clear violation of his NFL suspension. While the league has not commented since then, they have made no moves to reinstate him and could conceivably keep him out of the league for another year because of his inability to stay out of trouble.

Raiders coach Jack Del Rio has been outspoken in the past about wishing the NFL would allow the team contact with Smith as terms of his banishment prevent coaches and team executives from speaking to him. On Friday, he spoke more to the logistics of Smith’s suspended status.

“We’re too…

click here to read more.

Categories
California News
No Comment

Leave a Reply

*

*

RELATED BY